Are you interested in East African Community integration and competitiveness? So are we. Development Alternatives Inc. (DAI), an international development company that manages the East Africa Trade and Investment Hub, is currently accepting applications for the East Africa Trade and Investment Hub Senior Agricultural Trade Expert and Value Chain Development Specialist, based in Nairobi.
The East Africa Trade and Investment Hub is a five-year U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) project that partners with the East African public sector and East African and U.S. businesses to attract investment that drives intra-regional trade and economic growth.
Job Description - Value Chain Development Specialist
The value chain development specialist will work primarily in agricultural value chains, such as maize and other grains, beans and legumes, fruits and vegetables, and livestock; but, the specialist will also support other value chains with potential for investment. The value chain specialist will support private sector investment in agriculture; assess the legal, regulatory, and institutional agribusiness enabling environment in order to diagnose constraints to economic growth; and build sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) capacity in the region.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, preferred in business administration, marketing, finance, management or related area
- At least ten years of relevant experience with developing value chains in developing countries, preferably in Africa
- Strong knowledge of international and regional trade, and/or regional integration, preferably in developing countries
- Experience researching trends in end markets, and supporting firms to meet the requirements of end markets, competitors, and regional and international buyers
- Experience that has resulted in contacts with key value chain stakeholders: producers, traders, actors in the supporting markets; and research/policy associations
- Demonstrated experience achieving increased competitiveness in the developing country context
- Demonstrated skills for fostering inter-firm collaboration and cooperation between associations, donors, and governments
- Demonstrated experience with promoting cutting-edge technologies and methods for increasing firm-level productivity
- Highly desired 3 to 5 years of private sector experience
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders in a multi-country setting
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Ability to use the latest ICT technology and computer software programs
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter via email to RecruitmentTIH@DAI.com by February 20, 2015. Only candidates who send their information by the deadline will be eligible. Please write or "Application for Value Chain Development Specialist" in the subject line. Visit www.eatradehub.org to learn more about this position.