HUB FACT SHEETS, INFOGRAPHICS & SUCCESS STORIES Trade & Investment News Read Our Blog Newsletters

East African countries could lose out on TFTA benefits from June

Published on February 15, 2016

The East African region is likely to face stiff competition from Southern Africa countries after members of three trade blocs that merged last year agreed to disregard sensitive products in order to ensure fair competition.

The 26-member states forming the Tripartite Free Trade Area have agreed that 80 per cent of tariff lines will be liberalised upon implementation of the agreement in June and the remaining 20 per cent will be negotiated over five to eight years.

TFTA brings together members of the East African Community, the Common Market for Southern and Eastern Africa and the South Africa Development Community. Read more. Source | East African