On February 22, the Hub and the Inter-Regional Economic Network (IREN) hosted an online Twitter chat (#YIAC2016) on youth in agriculture in East Africa. IREN and the Hub are co-supporters of the upcoming Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition, taking place in Arusha, Tanzania February 24-27. Ninety youth-led agribusiness startups and SMEs will participate.
The chat discussed five key questions:
- What are the opportunities available for youth in ag in East Africa? And how can youth access them?
- What are the hinderances preventing the youth from going into ag? And how can they be overcome?
- Are governments doing enough to promote ag among the youth?
- What is the role of technology? - Can tech be used to make ag attractive to the youth?
- What are the available sources of finance for youth in ag?