Our resident AGOA expert is Finn Holm-Olsen, Director of Trade Promotion for the East Africa Trade and Investment Hub.
You can also reach us on our SMS Hotline where you can ask questions about AGOA benefits, product eligibility, market linkages, export procedures, customs requirements and learn more about the U.S. market. Simply SMS +254-780-200550.
I am a Uganda American based in Boston Massachusetts, and I wish to export Ugandan Foods which are Chemical Free i.e. Organic: These include : Cattle or Beef, Goats, Chicken and Fresh Vegetables. We also wish to export Dry Cocoa Beans, Bee Honey, Mangoes, Dry eye-chilli etc. Please advise on how one can do this and help the youth who are not employed, and the poor.See the answer...
- Are Detergents eligible Products for Export to the U.S.?
- Do we need to contract a customs agent in the US?
- Where can I get export data?
- How can I show my products are AGOA eligible?
- Are garments made from imported fabric eligible for duty free export to the EU?
- More questions...
AGOA accords duty-free treatment to virtually all products exported by beneficiary sub-Saharan (SSA) countries to the United States. AGOA provides beneficiary countries with the most liberal access to the United States market accorded to any country or region that has not negotiated a free trade agreement with the United States.
The AGOA bill which was enacted in 2000 originally expired on September 30, 2008 but as a result of the July 13, 2004 signing of the AGOA Acceleration Act of 2004, AGOA has been extended until September 30, 2015.
AGOA benefits are currently extended to 37 SSA countries and to more than 1,800 tariff line items in addition to the 4,600 items already enjoying duty-free status under the U.S. Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program. AGOA has added to the list of duty-free products such major import-sensitive items as apparel, footwear, luggage, handbags and watches.
- What are the main benefits available to exporters from AGOA beneficiary countries?
- What are the AGOA Eligibility Requirements?
- Who makes the determinations regarding AGOA eligibility?
- Can a beneficiary country lose its AGOA benefits?
- Which products are eligible for AGOA benefits?
- See all FAQs...